How the ‘Covid-Status’ will work in the NHS App
NHS Engalnd (NHSE) have confirmed:
- A patient’s’ Covid-Status’ (whether they are vaccinated or not) will be a new functionality that will be added to the NHS App from 17 May. This new functionality will not be activated or provided by the Practice- click here for more information
- The information on a patient’s Covid- Status will be drawn from the NIMS (National Immunisation System of Record) and not from the GP Record. This will a national programme, using national data.
- Patients will be encouraged to download the NHS App or, if they cannot access the app, they can request a letter from the Government, which will show their Covid-Status.
Government advice to patients who require a letter:
- If a patient does not have access to a smartphone and they know the country they are travelling to require COVID-19 vaccination status, patients can call the NHS helpline on 119 (from 17 May) and ask for a letter to be posted to them. The patient must request the letter at least 5 days after they have completed their vaccination course. The Government expect the letter to take up to 5 days to reach the patient.
- The Gov.uk site has a clear alert on their page that says the following:
Do not contact your GP surgery about your COVID-19 vaccination status. GPs cannot provide letters showing your COVID-19 vaccination status.